What it is
- The Smiles X-Press program will be available at schools and community sites:
- A child will be seen by a dental hygienist, and a dental assistant. Offsite, a dentist will review the X-rays, intra oral photos, and create a treatment plan using telehealth technology (computers and cameras)
- Onsite, the child will receive a professional cleaning, fluoride varnish application, sealants and temporary fillings (if applicable).
- If necessary, care coordinators will work with families to ensure treatment is completed.
- All care provided at school through Smiles X–Press is free for Denti-Cal patients.
- Safe: Temporary fillings are safe and provided by trained dental providers.
- Reduces dental fear: Since the child is treated in community setting and a comfortable environment, they are less likely to be afraid of dental care. A Child will never be strapped or forcefully held down at the school or community site.
What it isn’t
- Education: Is a strong component and will focus on educating parents, children, and teachers.
- No drilling: The onsite care will not require any type of drilling. The care is intended to be pain free and a comfortable experience for the child.
- No needles, sedation or local anesthesia at the school or community site: If tooth decay is severe, the child will be referred to a dental clinic directly.*
* If a child is referred to a dental office it may require the use of sedation or local anesthetics for the comfort and safety of the child.